2008 Yamaha YZF R6
CUTTING EDGE CHAMPION.
Almost anywhere you look on the 2008 R6 you'll find something new, including YCC-I, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake. It's bristling with loads of refinements and knowledge gained from years of racing. You can confidently say the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha - or anybody else - has ever built.
- Light, powerful and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.
- The YZF-R6 was the first production motorcycle with a fly-by-wire throttle system—for flawless response under all conditions.
- YCC-I, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake, introduced in 2007 on the R1, is now used on the R6 to vary intake tract length for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband. On the higher-revving R6, its benefits are even more pronounced.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed.
- Over 50 friction-reducing strategies have been employed inside the engine, including the use of wider crank bearings.
- Upgraded fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T dual-injector system complements the higher compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
- A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
- All-new frame takes handling to the next level, allowing more precise turn-in, greater corner speed, and tighter exits. Thicker headpipe-headstock and swingarm pivot area walls, and elimination of the frame crossmember, help achieve perfect balance.
- New swingarm has internal ribs added, and extruded section is now forged to work with the new frame.
- Revised outer fork tubes, a new lower triple clamp, and increased fork offset provide highly tactile front-end feedback.
- Moving the rider and bars forward and slightly lower enhances braking and turn-in performance. Clip-ons are also lower and re-angled.
- Front discs are 310 x 5mm instead of 4.5mm for increased cooling qualities.
- Increased fork height adjustability and rear ride-height adjustment range accommodate a greater range of riders and tires.
- Revised bodywork results in even greater aerodynamic efficiency.
- YCCT—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle—uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
- Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Back torque-limiting slipper clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP for a broad powerband, spot-on injection and emissions compliance.
- Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
- Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
- Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
- Light, Controlled-Fill swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- The casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- Quick-detach license plate holder and rear turn signal mount makes prepping for track days or racing a snap.
- Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right handlebar switch.
- Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
- Engine Type: 599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
- Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.1:1
- Carburetion: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Ignition: TCI
- Transmission: 6-speed w/multi-plate slipper clutch
- Final Drive: #525 O-ring chain
- Suspension/Front: 41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
- Suspension/Rear: Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
- Brakes/Front: Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
- Brakes/Rear: 220mm disc; single-piston caliper
- Tires/Front: 120/70-ZR17
- Tires/Rear: 180/55-ZR17
- Length: 80.3 in
- Width: 27.6 in
- Height: 43.3 in
- Seat Height: 33.5 in
- Wheelbase: 54.3 in
- Rake (Caster Angle): 24°
- Trail: 3.8 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.6 gal
- Oil Capacity (with oil filter change): Spec Not Available
- Dry Weight: 366 lb
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
- Colors: Cadmium Yellow w/Flames, Team Yamaha Blue/White, Raven, Liquid Silver
- Engine Type
- Inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
- 599 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 67.0 x 42.5 mm
- Liquid cooled
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Front Suspension
- 41 mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable; Travel: 4.7 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Single shock; 4-way adjustable; Travel: 4.7 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 310 mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- 220 mm disc; single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 54.3 in.
- Seat Height
- 33.5 in.
- Caster Angle: 24°
- 3.8 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 4.6 gal
- Dry Weight
- 366 lbs
- 6-speed w/multi-plate slipper clutch
- Final Drive
- #525 O-ring chain
- Cadmium Yellow w/Flames (US Only), Team Yamaha Blue/White, Raven (Metallic Black), Liquid Silver (Silver 3)
- 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)